What to do before the wedding.
Given the high failure rate of marriage in America, it makes good sense to safeguard your marriage before it starts. The goal is for you to have a strong, joyful marriage that can last a lifetime. Discover the key principles of a strong marriage.
To have a happy marriage, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
What is involved in premarital counseling? At your intake session we will go over the program and tailor it to your needs. There will be some computer assessments for you to fill out online. You will be given a reading list. The counseling program is usually 6 to 8 sessions as we work through your assessment results. There will be a variety of couple’s exercises for you to do between counseling sessions that are specific to your strengths and growth areas.
This premarital counseling program includes:
- Exploring your individual and couple relationship strengths and growth areas.
- Improving your skills in conflict resolution and the prevention of many arguments.
- Looking at family-of-origin issues and the effect they may have on your marriage.
- Understanding how your spiritual beliefs will affect your marriage.
- Exploring how your strengths can be used to build a lasting marriage.
- Analyzing how financial habits and attitudes may effect your marriage.
Is Premarital Counseling Really Effective?
Yes. Most premarital couples spend a great deal of time, energy and money on a wedding celebration that lasts only a few hours. The wise couples also invest in intentionally developing the healthy relationship skills needed to build a marriage that could last 50+ years. Premarital counseling is one of the most cost-effective methods for providing a solid foundation for a strong marriage.
What is the cost of premarital counseling? The initial 20 miniute phone consultation is free. There are generally $150 to $300 worth of assessments for you to fill out. Together we will choose which ones will provide the best information for your situation. The other costs are simply the regular counseling session fees. So total cost of premarital counseling will depend on which assessments you choose and the total number of counseling sessions you decide you want.
Please feel free to contact me for more information.